Wildlife and Beaches of Kerala
Duration: 9 Nights / 10 Days
Destination: Cochin - Munnar - Periyar - Kottayam - Alleppey - Kovalam - Trivandrum - Mumbai.
Day 01: Arrive Cochin.
Late night, arrive Mumbai and transfer to the domestic airport for your flight to Cochin by 9W 405 at 0545 hrs. On arrival in Cochin at 0730 hrs, assistance at airport and transfer to hotel. Rest of the day free.Evening attend the Kathakali dance performance.Kathakali Performance.Overnight in Cochin..
Day 02: In Cochin
Morning Guided city tour.Afternoon free.
- Cochin - the palmgreen commercial town of Kerala has one of the finest natural harbours in the world. A town with a hoary past, Cochin is the gateway to Kerala.
- The Jewish Synagogue - built in 1568 AD contains Grand Scrolls of the Old Testament and the copper plates containing the privileges granted to the Jews by the Cochin rulers. The floor of the synagogue is paved with exquisite Chinese hand painted tiles. The Dutch Palace was built by the Portuguese and presented to the Cochin Raja in 1555 AD. 17th century murals depicting scenes from the Indian epic, the Ramayana can be seen here. St Francis Church, built originally by the Portuguese in 1510 AD is believed to be the first church built by Europeans in India. Vasco da Gama was originally buried here. The Chinese fishing nets can be seen at the entrance of the harbour. The Chinese through trade contact taught this technique of catching fish.
Day 03: Cochin - Munnar
Morning: Drive to Munnar (135 kms/04½ hrs) enroute visit tea plantations. On arrival in Munnar, check in at hotel. Afternoon: Boat ride in the lake.
- Munnar (1,524 M): is the highest town of Kerala, with a cool, bracing climate exuding an old-world charm. The atmosphere is fragrant with extensive tea and cardamom plantations. There are enchanting high ranges, lakes and streams and beautiful view of low-lying clouds and the mist filled valleys. Overnight in Munnar.
Day 04:In Munnar
Full day free to visit the bazaars, plantations etc.
Overnight in Munnar.
Day 05: Munnar - Periyar
Early Morning: Drive to Periyar (100 kms/03 hrs) and on arrival, check in at hotel. Afternoon: Boat ride in Lake Periyar to watch wildlife. Later visit Kumily spice market to see and buy spices.
- Periyar Tiger Reserve: 777 sq km in area is set in a rtiger-pantherich, mixed deciduous forest, interspersed with open areas of tall grass. Periyar has a splendid artificial lake dotted with snags of dead wood, which provide a perch for waterbirds; darter, grey heron, egret and kingfisher. It is one of the finest habitats for the Asiatic elephant. These enormous mammals swim in the waters and streams and usually they can be observed during the boat ride. Periyar also holds, apart from Tiger leopard, sambar, wild dog, barking deer, the lion tailed macaque, the Nilgiri langur . The forest harbours a variety of woodland birds. Boat travel is the only means of transport in the Sanctuary. Overnight in Periyar.
Day 06 :Periyar - Kottayam.
Early Morning: Drive to Kottayam (120 kms/03 hrs) and on arrival, switch over to the House Boat and cruise along the backwaters, passing through paddy fields, villages, market etc.
The cruise is through `Kuttanad' literally meaning the land which is lower than the sea level but is kept intact by its bunds and dikes. It is the `rice bowl' of Kerala. The rice fields are very beautiful and this lush land and surrounds governs the placid way of life of the people who live on the backwaters. Overnight on board HOUSE BOAT.
Day 07: Arrive Alleppey - Kovalam
Morning: Drive to Kovalam (180 kms/04½ hrs) and on arrival in Kovalam, check in at a beach resort. Rest of the day to relax at the beach or indulge in Ayurvedic massages.
- Kovalam is a sheltered bay endowed with unusual beauty, located on the magnificent Arabian Sea coast. This natural bay is a safe sea-pool, free from high waves and surges. The 30 kms drive from the Tiruvanantapuram airport to the beach through groves of palms is refreshing. It is an ideal place to swim, sunbathe and perhaps enjoy the ancient rites of an Ayurvedic massage and oil bath. Overnight in Kovalam.
Day 08: In Kovalam
Full day free on the beach.
Overnight in Kovalam..
Day 09: In Kovalam.
Full day free on the beach.Overnight in Kovalam.
Day 10 Kovalam - Trivandrum - Mumbai - Depart.
Morning: Assistance and transfer to Trivandrum airport (25 kms) in time to connect flight 9W 335 at 1335 hrs to Mumbai. On arrival in Mumbai at 1535 hrs, assistance at airport and transfer to city hotel for wash and change. Rest of the day free for last minute shopping/packing. Evening: After farewell dinner, assistance and transfer to International airport in time to connect your onward flight home.